[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat May 12 04:51:11 MDT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 07:22:38PM -0400, Ed Hill wrote:
>disks in one array (a few TB) were scrambled.  After multiple recovery
>efforts the information was eventually declared a loss.

Yeah, that's a good point.  With the software RAID, you know the on-disc
format is fully documented, if noting else by the source code.  The
hardware vendors probably will not be so forthcoming with their drive
formatting information.

A local guy had a 3ware array for his home storage server a few years ago
and one of the drives reported problems.  During a rebuild, the build
failed, leaving his array unusable.  He spent a long time trying to get
3ware to document the on-disc format so he could build some recovery tools
and in the end they refused to provide him the information.

Open is better than closed.

Sean
--
 When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws are
 broken.  -- Benjamin Disraeli