[lug] RAID drive failure.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri May 25 22:09:46 MDT 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
[...]
> I don't think this was the manufacturer though, I think it was the place we
> got them.  We've switched to buying case quantities of drives from a huge
> vendor, which means we're getting them in the original Hitachi sealed
> boxes.  No re-packaging, meaning less of an opportunity for them to play
> hockey with the drives before packing them.

Looking on newegg for a replacement today, Seagate reviews run around
15% DOA (that's the only reason anyone gives a 1 or a 2 on a review).
I'm sure the actual DOA rate is lower (happy customers probably write
fewer reviews).

But there was speculation that DOA drives tended to be shipped without
anti-static packaging.

Interesting that Dell only gave us a 1 year warranty and Seagate didn't
cover these drives.  I have found, even on cheap systems, the drive is
covered by the manufacturer for longer than a year.  No big deal, the
new drives will be covered for 5 years.  But it would have been nice to
just get a same-model replacement rather than having to adjust the RAID
for a bigger drive.

Dave