[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

David Howland david.howland at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:37:37 MDT 2007

It seems to me that with the merging of core and extras Fedora is shooting
for more of an "everybody's Linux" as Ubuntu has. Most traditional OS users
are used to installs that require very little user interaction and are ready
to go out of the box. They don't really want to bother with updates. In my
experience serious Linux users go with Debian, SuSE or Gentoo anyway. I
support mostly small business though and can't speak for the corporate
community. I suppose that is what RHEL is for...

For personal use I think Linux would lose some of its allure if everything
just worked. Linux has fueled my passion for computer systems every since I
started using it because in the process of fixing some screwed up software
install I always gain more insight into how the system really works.

Just my 2 cents.

On 6/1/07, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Nate Duehr wrote:
> >
> > On May 31, 2007, at 2:05 PM, steve at badcheese.com wrote:
> >
> >> Fedora 7 came out today, but apparently a yum upgrade could nuke your
> >> install, so install from CD or DVD is recommended.
> >
> > Fedora's devs are NEVER going to learn to do it right, are they?
> >
> > Busted upgrades are release-critical BUGS in Debian, and Debian won't
> > allow a release until they're FIXED or at least discussed heavily, and a
> > warning put into debconf stating to the end-user that "X package can't
> > be upgraded successfully - here's what you need to do to fix it
> yourself".
> >
> > Sigh... silly RedHat devs...
>
> This was all but promised behavior so not unexpected.  Back when Red Hat
> changed their business model they gave a talk here (the NOAA building
> next to NIST).  They were peppered with questions about Fedora,
> including the ability to upgrade.  They told us not to expect the
> ability to upgrade with Fedora.  Our group abandoned Red Hat and went
> with Debian.  For some reason, best I can tell, we were the only group
> to do so.  Most (probably every other group) stuck with Red Hat &
> Fedora.  I'm not sure why.

-- David Howland