[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jun 1 20:30:14 MDT 2007

I'll throw in my opinion as well. ;)

DISCLAIMER: I am pretty involved in fedora development.

>Fedora 7 came out today, but apparently a yum upgrade could nuke your
>install, so install from CD or DVD is recommended.
...snipp...
>(yum upgrade info)
>http://digg.com/linux_unix/Don_t_Use_Yum_to_Update_to_Fedora_7

If you follow this link to it's parent, and then to that links parent
you get to a post from Dave Jones, the Fedora kernel guy.
It was written Feb 27th. That was about in the middle of the devel
cycle, possibly when the libata change landed in the Fedora kernel.

While it is not supported, dist upgrading using yum is very possible.
I upgraded several machines during the late devel cycle from fc6 just
fine. In fact my ppc32 box ran into a bug and I litterally installed
fc6 on it a dozen times and upgraded it to rawhide to find the bug. ;)

Just today I used yum to upgrade my old fc6 laptop to f7.
Worked dandy. I think Dave was jumping the gun on a problem that got
fixed just fine later in the devel cycle. That said, since yum dist
upgrades aren't supported you should really know what you are doing if
you try it. ;)

There was some talk today about shipping a package for F7 that would
have the installer image for F8 in it, so you install that, reboot, run
the installer, and are done for the next upgrade. I'd personally love
to see yum upgrades supported, but I understand why they might not want
to do that...

Anyhow, I am very much a "whatever works for you" kind of guy, so pick
a distro that meets you needs. ;)

kevin