[lug] grep question

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Tue Jun 12 07:45:16 MDT 2007

Ok, here's something to chew on:

chip at chip1:~> echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
chip at chip1:~> echo abc | grep A
chip at chip1:~> echo abc | grep a
abc
chip at chip1:~> echo abc | grep "[A-Z]"
abc
chip at chip1:~> export LANG=C
chip at chip1:~> echo abc | grep "[A-Z]"
chip at chip1:~>

The distribution is SuSE enterprise linux.  It seems that the LANG stuff
only affects an expression in set of mini-experiments.

Another thing that is odd is that there are many programs in /usr/bin with
symlinks to their counterpart in /bin.  However, /usr/bin isn't a symlink
to /bin.  I guess SuSE is "non-standard", but I thought it was a Red Hat
derivative.

Chip