[lug] Help installing debian at the install fest?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Fri Jul 13 14:11:41 MDT 2007

>I have no idea why you are getting core dumps on the debian install. But
>you said you didn't get a core dump with Sarge? If you were able to
>install Sarge successfully, do that. Once you have sarge installed,
>change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to etch|testing|unstable
>and run "apt-get dist-upgrade"  If it the core dump is a kernel problem,
>install a few different kernels before you reboot after you upgrade.

Will this upgrade the kernel too? I believe sarge's kernel is ancient
(2.2 or 2.4) and I am unclear if the kernel is upgraded with "apt-get
dist-upgrade".

Also, I find the sarge installation extremely painful because it asks
all kinds of questions I don't know how to answer (that no other
installation asks). It asks detailed questions about my video adapter,
for example. Fortuately, these ugly questions go away in etch. Too bad
etch won't work.

But then again, maybe that is reason to get help at the install
fest. Will there be someone there that knows how to answer those
esoteric installation questions in sarge?