[lug] OT: Comcast

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:28:33 MDT 2007

Since I have no need to run a server, Comcast is ideal for my needs.
I've been on the same connection since installed by att at home (for you
history buffs). Almost no outages during that time period except when
@home bailed out on att overnight. It took them a week to put together
replacement isp services.

I've still got the older, slower (blazing fast) service. I have no
need to pay for a faster connection.

I'm in SE Aurora, and USWest/Qwest has never been motivated to provide
DSL in my area. I have heard that in some areas (Highlands Ranch comes
to mind), Comcast has oversubscrbed the cable resulting in miserable
speeds. Don;t know about the northwest areas.

>From what I've heard, ATT did a major, professional cable build out
before selling out to Comcast, and it seems that Comcast is just
riding on the coattails of the build out.

The one thing to remember, if you choose Comcast, - DO NOT use the
Comcast DNS servers. They are worthless. I thought I was having cable
problems a year ago, but the problem disappeared when I switched to
other DNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220).

--
Collins Richey