[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Tue Jul 31 18:52:49 MDT 2007

> Your assessment is correct - it's there for the nfs client capability.
> Again, you should be able to disable it.

thanks

> All distros these days default to one of a) (by means of listening on the
> loopback interface) or b).   You didn't mention what you're using, but
> unless it's really out-of-date, I'd be surprised if you need to do
> anything

looks like mine might be working by default.

> here other than maybe setting the alias for root.

I imagine this allows me to NOT have to reconfigure services that send
errors / status to root by default.  Instead i redirect root with an alias
to my external email account right?  Wouldn't that generate an enormous
amount of email that's not necessarily of critical nature?

fyi, i didn't find an /etc/mail/aliases file on my system.

do i just need to create the file and set an alias for root or is there
some other incantation i need to do to make sendmail recognize it?

thanks