[lug] Firewall / Lockdown questions

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Tue Jul 31 21:42:32 MDT 2007

> You can find out exactly what is running on those ports by doing:
>
> sudo /sbin/fuser 623/tcp
> sudo /sbin/fuser 664/tcp
>
> This will return the PIDs using this port> then you can do ps auxww |
> grep <PID>.

I run the cmds as root on the targethost and get absolutely no output?

 # fuser 664/tcp
 # fuser 623/tcp

Yet from a remote host i still get:

 # nmap targethost

PORT    STATE    SERVICE
623/tcp filtered unknown
664/tcp filtered unknown

How do i decipher that?

> Also, re: your observation above that sendmail.cf does not contain the
> aforementioned line, you should look in sendmail.mc, NOT sendmail.cf.
> I would strongly recommend never editing sendmail.cf directly (unless
> you're Eric Allman)

yeah.. i posted the wrong file.. i have the .mc file.. that's where i
should have been looking and it is exactly as you said!

thanks