[lug] FW: Student Buff Bulletin 08/30/2007

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Sep 4 07:32:13 MDT 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 02:55:49PM -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
>> My experience so far working with RH5 is that it felt like they put all
>> of their effort into getting the Xen stuff working/integrated and then
>> shipped, even though a variety of things were still in a state of
>
> That's really weird, because about the only thing I've found broken in
> CentOS 5 is Xen.  It's only a sample size of around 50 or 75 machines so
> far, but I've been extremely happy with CentOS 5.
>
> Sean

I haven't played with Xen.  The big problem area I've had is kickstart.
  Beyond that, the re-vamped X libraries have caused a variety of issues
for the add-on software that we use in an edu environment (I realize it
isn't RH's fault).  Another difficulty is that the RH rep showed up on
campus, made promises about how up2date would work under the new system
(everything will work the same, up2date will be a wrapper for yum. "Will
repackage/rollback work?" "Absolutely" ...)

Hugh