[lug] video card recommandation for 1680x1050?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Sep 5 14:10:16 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 13:58 -0600, bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:
> I've seen one situation where this doesn't work -- applications that make
> heavy use of icons to convey information.  Specifically 'eclipse'.  It has
> dozens of icons that look very similar but have small modifications to
> provide state information.  That's create when the icons are about the
> same size as the text, but a nightmare when they're nearly illegible.

I believe this issue will be resolved as applications begin to use SVG
based icons and incorporate the use of Cairo for rendering vector
graphics.  I'm not sure of this, but I believe the intent was to make
the use of Cairo transparent and let the higher layer graphical toolkits
(Qt and GTK+) simply support the vector file format for the application
using the same APIs used for the older icon formats.

GNOME already does this for some of it's desktop icons.  Not sure which
(if any) applications make use of it or if KDE is supporting it yet
(probably, I just don't use it or follow it's development).
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org