[lug] Installing from DVD

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Sep 11 22:21:08 MDT 2007

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
[...]
> And what do I do if I don't have a DVD player on all my boxes?  Some of
> my boxes are running without CD or DVD drives.  When I upgrade, I move a
> CD drive between them.  I don't have a spare DVD drive.

It should be easy to net install.  You mount the DVD and make it
available via NFS (pretty easy, like one line in the config file).

If you set up tftp to share out the boot directory you can boot off the
network too.  (If your machine doesn't support booting off the network,
a feature of your network card, you can build a floppy that will do so.)

You may be able to share the DVD over http or ftp but there was a bug in
that a while back (fixed post FC7 IIRC).

IIRC the stuff you want to share is where the DISK1..n directories are.
  If Google doesn't tell you quickly what goes in NFS and what in tftp I
can look it up.

Dave