[lug] .NET w/Mono & Linux

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Sep 13 11:46:35 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 10:01 -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Is there anyone on the list who has had experience with running .NET
> assemblies on Linux w/Mono? My company has been developing software
> libraries using .NET w/Visual Studio 2005 for Windows 2k/XP. We are
> exploring using some of these libraries on an industrial PC data logger,
> and we are debating which operating system to use. I obviously want to use
> Linux, and from a few hours spent with Mono, it appears our libraries run
> just fine. Of course, management wants a bit more assurance than that!
>
> I would like to get a feel for people's experience with Mono. And if you
> have had more extensive Mono experience, I would very much like to talk to
> you (and so would the rest of the project team). We would of course
> compensate you for your time (unless you don't want people calling you a
> consultant :). Thanks!
>
> PS. I am sending this from my personal email address to emphasis my
> own interest in using Mono. I am an Electrical Engineer by day, and a
> Linux sys-admin / developer the rest of the time. :)

Your library should have a set of tests to verify proper operation.
Everyone has these, right? :)

So, if you run the test series on Linux and it works, then management
should be assured.

I have written a couple of small programs in MS C# Express.  The first
time I tried running one in Linux it failed, because it was using
Microsoft's new scalable .NET 2.0 WinForms.  Mono didn't support the new
scalable control types.  So I fixed the dialog form to use the old
fixed-size controls and it worked fine.

Of course I could have rewritten it to use GTK# but then there'd be no
point to using an MS IDE for form design.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>