[lug] Moving from integrated to AGP video card

Steve A Hart Shart at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 19 15:22:14 MDT 2007

In the motherboard BIOS you should be able to disable the integrated
video and activate the AGP port.  Once the on-board video is disabled it
should look for any AGP and/or PCI video card available.

It really has nothing to do with Linux but rather the BIOS for your
particular motherboard.  If you have your monitor plugged into the AGP
card and the system boots into the grub screen, then your motherboard
BIOS is set correctly.  I would boot into single user mode, move
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig and then let X fail into
the configuration program.  You should be able to pick your monitor and
video card type as well as the resolution and then it will create the
correct xorg.conf file.  In /etc/X11/xorg.conf your driver should
default to be "nv".  It should end up going to the graphical login
screen from there.

Also, you are using an NVIDIA card, make sure you download the latest
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver for your card.  To install the
driver, boot into single user and run the NVIDIA script you downloaded.
  It will install the kernel modules for the accelerated graphics.  Just
make sure to change your driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from "nv" to
"nvidia" then continue the to boot normally.  You should see the NVIDIA
splash screen right before the standard graphical login.

If you are running something like Ubuntu, the nvidia accelerated
graphics should load themselves through the package management program.
   Other distros may or may not load the driver automatically.

Hopefully that makes sense.....