[lug] CPU comparisons

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Oct 26 17:19:47 MDT 2007

karl horlen wrote:
> I always thought rails were rails. At least when it
> came to rack systems.  Racks are standardized.  The
> units that fit into them have to conform to
> standardized measurements.  I figured a generic set of
> rails could be purchased for 1u, 2u and similar
> systems from third parties for reasonable prices.
>
> I guess not.
>
> Which means the outer part of every rail set that
> connects to the rack is probably virtually identical.
> But hooligans like Dell and Sun drill different holes
> on their units to make the interface to the "inner"
> part of the rail different enough to warrant you
> purchase their rails.
>
> Would that be true?  I haven't purchased enough rack
> servers to know the answer to this question.
>
>>> Yeah, and then they will also sell you the special
>> Dell rackmount  rails for $250.00.
>>
>> Sun does the same crap.  LOL!

The racks I've dealt with have round holes or square holes.  Most of the
recent racks have all had square holes.  Relay racks tend to have
threaded holes and have different sized screw than the machine racks.

The nice rails clip into the square holes and the chassis of the machine
has thumb screws that connect into the rail.

The not-nice rails don't clip in and you have to clip in a cage nut
(image here
http://www.rackmounts.com/asp/show_image.asp?pr=0&sku=DF3434).  You then
can use the screw to anchor your rail/machine.

There is no standardization in how the rail attaches to the sides of the
machine.

It's worth buying a machine that comes with its own rails.  Beige box
rack cases mean buying third party rails generally and scratched up
knuckles.  If you can afford it, it's even nicer to have the vendor rack
the equipment for you.

They all overcharge for RAM too.

Hugh