[lug] Universal DSL modems

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 17:29:39 MDT 2007

Since we're on the topics of DSL modems.

I just had my Qwest ActionTec modem go belly up on me.
 Actually, it turned out to be the wall wart power
supply that was bad.

I've rented the modem for over 5 years now.  Which
means I've put 4 years worth of moolah in qwest's
pocket that should've been mine.  My rationale for
renting in the first place was that I was never sure
if it was going to be a piece of junk, whether I was
going to stay in the area long enough to justify a
purchase or even switch carriers, ISPs.

Five years later, she craps out on me.  I talk to 6
different Qwest reps.  It takes me over an hour on the
phone to get them to just ship me a new one.  Then
they want to charge me for the shipping.  What!?  You
own the modem, it breaks, you pay for the shipping.
And you better ship it fast.  They finally did.

Wwhat I wanted to do  in the first place 5 years ago
was buy a "universal" DSL modem that would "just work"
with the variety of providers I'm likely to face over
my lifetime.  Things were in their infancy back then.
So it made sense that none existed at the time.

Oddly enough, the qwest replacment modem was the same
exact model make modem as my 5 year old one.  The only
difference is it's brand spanking new.  So the
technology hasn't changed :-)

A recent post mentioned that the Zoom apparently works
with Qwest.  Does such a "universal modem" exist out
there?  Any recommendations?