[lug] External USB floppy drives and driver diskettes

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:21:22 MDT 2007

> Anybody have experience with the 2 and 4 options and
> linux?

2. On some of the installers I have used, there were still virtual
terminals available. Fire up the installer, do a CTR/ALT F2 and see if
you can log into a new terminal. Explore around and see what drivers
are installed with the kernel. Plug in a USB stick, see what happens,
same with a USB floppy drive. If its an up to date kernel, it will
probably see the devices. The only thing is, there will be probably be
a reduced utility set with an install disk. So what you can do will be
somewhat limited. The only way you will know is by trying it.

4. On some of the machines we run, we don't even install hard drives,
much less a floppy. I must admit though, I'm not sure what would go on
a driver floppy that you would need on a production machine.

Steve Queen