[lug] CPU comparisons

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Oct 29 14:31:46 MDT 2007

John Hernandez wrote:
> On 10/27/07, *dio2002 at indra.com <mailto:dio2002 at indra.com>*
> <dio2002 at indra.com <mailto:dio2002 at indra.com>> wrote:
>
>      >
>      > Low-balling the price, and then charging exorbitantly for a required
>      > accessory is just dishonest, and false advertising.
>      >
>      > If that's who you like to do business with, then great.
>
>     I have the same attitude here.  Personally, I'm not sure any railkit is
>     worth $250.  That's totally up for debate.  However, I despise companies
>     that pull crap like this even when they make great products.  Mostly
>     because if they really make great products they shouldn't have to do
>     this
>     stuff.  It's the same with coupons and rebates.  Sell the item at the
>     sales prices.  Don't jerk me around and make me jump through hoops.
>     Simplify it.  When you don't do that it's just games.  However many
>     millions of dollars later dell probably doesn't care about the karmic
>     implications.  But I do.
>

> This is just a variation of an age-old marketing technique.

 From the article:

"One use of a loss leader is to draw customers into a store where they
are likely to buy other goods. The vendor expects that the typical
customer will purchase other items at the same time as the loss leader
and that the profit made on these items will be such that an overall
profit is generated for the vendor."

This isn't the case here. In this case, they are making the price appear
lower than it actually is by shifting SIGNIFICANT margin into a required
accessory.

It's dishonest.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader
>
> Apparently, your grocery store even does it.
>
> -John

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: +1 303 438 9585