[lug] CPU comparisons

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Oct 29 15:13:28 MDT 2007

Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 14:31 -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>> "One use of a loss leader is to draw customers into a store where they
>> are likely to buy other goods. The vendor expects that the typical
>> customer will purchase other items at the same time as the loss leader
>> and that the profit made on these items will be such that an overall
>> profit is generated for the vendor."
>>
>> This isn't the case here. In this case, they are making the price appear
>> lower than it actually is by shifting SIGNIFICANT margin into a required
>> accessory.
>>
>> It's dishonest.
>
> There is absolutely nothing required about rack mount kits.  Stack them
> on the floor.  Put them on shelves.  Whatever.

Uh, my colo facility won't let me put crap on the floor.

I mean really, if you're not putting it in a rack, why are you buying
rackmount crap in the first place? It makes it more expensive...

> The price in this case (if the sale is still running, I haven't looked)
> is such that you could buy some of these servers, part them out, and
> MAKE A PROFIT.

Easier to buy from someone that tells me the real price up-front.

That's what this is really all about. They're not telling you the real
price up front.

> So who cares?  If you get cheaper rack mount rails somewhere else, buy
> one of those cases with rails, break the components out of the Dell and
> go to town.

I care. I want to know the real price with no hidden surprises. I have
this thing about feeling like people are trying to mislead me. Silly I
guess.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: +1 303 438 9585