[lug] wireless access point vs wireless router

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 16 05:25:58 MST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 09:21:49PM -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>> As a temporary solution I thought about using a wireless access
>> point.
>> I can plug the ethernet port of the M10000 into that and have the WAP
>
> That's not what a wireless AP is for.  A wireless AP goes the other
> direction, it hooks to the Ethernet to allow clients to access the
> Ethernet.  It doesn't go the other way around, connecting to another
> AP.

This information seems out of date.

Almost all modern wireless AP's have "client" mode and "bridge" modes,
just like the dedicated bridging devices.

> What you want for that is a wireless client bridge, like a Linksys
> WET-11.
> Or, a WRT-54G, with the aftermarket firmware on it can also do it.
> You
> can't just configure it as an AP, you have to configure it as a client
> bridge.

The stock Linksys firmware will do "client" mode and will also do WDS/
bridging, if you don't mind being limited to WEP only for security.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com