[lug] wireless access point vs wireless router

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Nov 16 08:56:49 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 00:11 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> What you want for that is a wireless client bridge, like a Linksys WET-11.
> Or, a WRT-54G, with the aftermarket firmware on it can also do it.  You
> can't just configure it as an AP, you have to configure it as a client
> bridge.
>
> If it were me, I'd probably use a WRT-54GL.  Partly because I'm likely to
> have one laying around.  :-)

The WRT-54GL looks to be running about $65 via online retailers.  The
Belkin F5D7230-4 is also supported by DD-WRT and is running about $35 at
CompuUSA (here in the Springs).  The WET-style devices from Linksys are
only available online as far as I can tell and run about the same as
their routers.

Anyone used the F5D7230-4 w/DD-WRT?  I've used DD-WRT on the WRT54G's
before but haven't tried them on any other devices yet.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org