[lug] standalone sendmail

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 21 18:05:15 MST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:35:57 -0800 (PST)
horlenkarl at yahoo.com (karl horlen) wrote:

> > ssmtp is available from the EPEL repos.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse
> >
> > Enabling EPEL in yum will also allow you to get
> > security updates and
> > the like on the software.
>
> Nice.
>
> I don't want to screw up my current CentOS 5 server.
> Is this binary or src rpm?

The repository has binary rpms... src.rpms are available.

> Can I configure this EPEL repo in yum to only pull
> that one rpm and nothing else so that my 'base' rpms
> don't get overwritten or mixed up with equivalents
> from EPEL?

EPEL has a policy of never conflicting with or overriding base
RHEL/Centos packages. Nothing from EPEL will ever do so.

You may be able to enable just a few packages by using a exclude on
every everything except ssmtp, but really if you don't install anything
except ssmtp it won't matter.

kevin