[lug] Promise Vtrak performance

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Mon Nov 26 23:50:46 MST 2007

Second the motion.  Dell's enterprise support is excellent.  Then of
course to ruin that is Dell Financials...

We have a few dozen Dell Servers at work and they are all good.  We have
Dell desktops at work and they are all right.  I have a work issued Dell
D620 laptop and I hate it more every time I use it.  My boss picked them
based solely on price and with no user feedback.  Everybody hates those
laptops except for him.  The D820 would have been much better.

By the way, Promise still sucks, and I think this Friday will be my
biweekly reboot of the arrays.

Dan

Steve A Hart wrote:
> If you buy Dell, buy the top end support.  That's the only way to get to
> the techs who know anything.  Their standard support is beyond a joke.
>
> I'm running a Dell server right now and it runs well.  I'd never buy a
> dell desktop or laptop period.  There are far better options out there.
>
> Just my two cents...
>
> Collins Richey wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2007 9:09 AM, Louis Miller <veganguy at canadaseek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Collins,
>>>
>>>      Does that mean that Dell's Business Customer Service is
>>> excellent, while their consumer Customer Service is retarded,
>>> superficial or idiotic?
>>>

>> Don't have a clue, since I don't own any Dell equipment. Dell released
>> a bunch of Desktop PCs (270 series) a couple of years back with
>> failing MBs (substandard capacitors) and the D600 series of laptops.
>> Both of these had high failure rates at our business. They may well
>> have corrected the problems now, but I wouldn't touch them with a fork
>> since they could decide at any time to cheap out the production line.

What are we going to do tonigth Brain? - Pinky
The same thing we do every night.  Try to take over the world. - Brain