[lug] xen versus vmware

David Kritzberg david.kritzberg at colorado.edu
Mon Dec 3 16:21:46 MST 2007

* karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> [2007-12-03 14:34:22 -0800]:

> Does anybody have a preference either way?
>
> Ad|Disadvantages of either or?
>
> I believe with vmware, one can actually use a tool to
> create a virtual machine of an existing windows
> installation which sounds like a time saver.
>
> I'm curious if that same migration functionality
> exists for an existing linux install or not with
> either xen or vmware?
>
> For instance.  Could I install a xen kernel, change
> grub, but to the xen kernel, then create a virtual
> machine out of the original existing linux kernel /
> filesystem I previously was booting into?

Are you saying that a machine that dual-boots Windows and Linux could
be booted into Linux, and then run Windows apps installed on the
Windows boot partition from within Linux using Xen?  As it stands I
have a dual-boot machine, and was planning to use VMWare to
virtual-run Windows apps but I would need to install Windows and those
applications a second time on the linux partition, the way I
understand it.

Dave Kritzberg
http://dijon.colorado.edu/
Dave.Kritzberg at gmail.com