[lug] xen versus vmware

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 17:05:50 MST 2007

> Are you saying that a machine that dual-boots Windows and Linux could
> be booted into Linux, and then run Windows apps installed on the
> Windows boot partition from within Linux using Xen?  As it stands I
> have a dual-boot machine, and was planning to use VMWare to
> virtual-run Windows apps but I would need to install Windows and those
> applications a second time on the linux partition, the way I
> understand it.

You can run your regular windows partition from VMWare in ubuntu.  I
used VMWare server to do it on my machine at home, since it allows using
more processors than the other VMWare (client?).   There was a good
article on doing that in a recent linux magazine, not sure if its online
to read or not.  I think it was Linux Magaziine... its not here in front
of me so I can't tell you for sure.

Anyway, I found that it worked well, the only thing was that you have to
set up another hardware profile in windows for the VMWare virtual
hardware.  Your windows install will think that you have changed to
another machine.  I kept getting windows registration prompts.  There is
a little hack to deal with that though, there is a .bat file that checks
IPConfig output to see if VMWare is running.  If so, it copies in a
pre-saved file with a windows registration signature that matches the
VMWare hardware.  If not, the original registration signature file is
copied in.

Then you can use another gadget to get your apps into the ubuntu using
windows remote desktop, so it looks like they are running in linux.
There's a little bit of delay though, similar to what you'd get using
remote desktop to a local machine.  I was going to try working in linux
all the time (I use visual studio for work), but I didn't want to deal
with the slight slowdown.

Another thing is that you get some glitches from applications that don't
shut down normally.  This didn't work so well for me since I'm doing
programming and have applications crash all the time.  If I remember
correctly you get some blank areas where the windows were from the
crashed apps.

At this point I don't have the links to all this info, but I'll bet you
can find similar information out on the web.  If you need more info you
can email me and I'll try to dig it up.

Ben Burdette