[lug] xen versus vmware

Nathan Berry nathan.berry at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:54:40 MST 2007

We are using both the freeware version of VMWare and the ESX version.  The
ESX version is pretty cool.  There are 2 tools from VMWare for converting
real boxes to VM machines, VM Converter and P2V.  VM Converter works really
well with Windows machines.  We were not able to easily convert a LINUX
box.  We just built LINUX VM machines :-(

With ESX, we have Virtual Center which is really cool for creating VMs and
moving VMs.  It will even move them automatically based on load.  Virtual
Center, the freeware version, has a subset of features.

Nathan

On Dec 3, 2007 4:08 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> karl horlen wrote:
>
> > I believe with vmware, one can actually use a tool to
> > create a virtual machine of an existing windows
> > installation which sounds like a time saver.
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has the secret decoder ring on the 20
> different versions of VMWare these days, and the benefits vs. cost of
> each... if we find anyone VMWare-savvy enough to answer your question,
> too.
>
> :-)
>
> Nate

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it - even if I have said it -
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

  -- Buddha