[lug] Two more weeks...

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 15:45:46 MST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 12:53 PM, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi List;
>

> I have an AMD based hp laptop
> hp pavillion dv6000
>
> I'm not a newbie to Linux but this box is giving me major issues. I get a bios
> error warning at boot time but I don't think this is the main problem.
>
> Fedora seems to install but boots only to a blank screen after. Once the
> screen works I cant get the broadcom wireless to work properly.
>
> I had everything working at one point with Kubuntu but the wireless driver
> started to cause major issues (lots of warnings, program crashes, etc)

1. A brief foray into google says that this laptop uses a Broadcom
wireless chip, and that is always the toughest nut to crack, some
would say a total crapshoot.

2. Even worse, other reports say that the dv6000  has badly broken
apic support (ie the beast requires windows support to work around its
deficiencies) and extremely flaky usb support. Those who had some
success had to boot with strings like 'noapic' and 'iommu=memaper=2'
and 'iommu=off' and 'noirqdebug'.

3. This is a fairly typical HP retail product that has little hope of
running Linux well, since the vendor does not give a damn whether it
works on Linux or not.

4. I suggest that you read the reports from a google 'hp pavillion
dv6000 linux' search.

5. Not to discourage you totally, but this laptop willcertainly
require more TLC than the average non-Linux-savy user is willing to
bear, and you will be unlikely to find  'a distro that requires very
little maintenance'.

6. I would try booting the very latest Knoppix LiveCD on the laptop.
If that fails, you are not likely to find a Linux distro that will
work well. In any case, only the very latest distros are likely to
have a prayer of dealing with the hardware irregularities.

--
Collins Richey