[lug] Feedback Wanted - Proposed Open Source Disk Test SW

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Wed Jan 2 17:40:06 MST 2008

Hi George,

Judging from the docs, Jonnie looks like a useful package that fills a need.
A few questions ...

Why would someone want to set the TestCorruption flag?

Do all the files (and all the blocks for that matter) have different
data?  That is, are they all written from a single RNG with a long
period?  That way if a bad driver reads the wrong block, Jonnie can
detect it.

Is it possible to use Jonnie against an existing file?  Suppose we have
a huge DBMS that is giving us odd errors.  Could we take the DB down some
night and use Jonnie to read, change, read-verify, restore, read-verify blocks?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com

http://www.mathcom.com    303-494-7115