[lug] Open source laptops for kids - OLPC offer

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Jan 8 14:53:42 MST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:05:44PM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> >... My only gripe
> >is that it will not sleep, it is either on or off. But apparently that is
> >supposed to be fixed in the next release of the software. TTYL.
>
> A common myth.  Suspend and resume has been working for quite a while -
> and it though it still has bugs, its probably way better then anything
> you are used to.  It just doesn't happen *automatically* (yet).
>
> In the mean time, you can suspend it just like every other linux device
> on the planet:  echo "mem" > /sys/power/state as root.

Thanks!  But for me it doesn't stay asleep.  If the lid is open, it
comes back on when I type a character in my ssh session, or within a
few minutes even if I don't (perhaps keepalive network packets from
ssh, or regular presences updates from the xmpp neighborhood server.)

If the case is shut, it instantly comes back on(!).  Perhaps the mouse
pad some how notices some static??

So I'm guessing there are some other things that should be shut down
(manually for now) if we really want it to stay asleep.  Any
suggestions for how to get it to sleep with the case shut?

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/