[lug] BLUG_talk > /dev/youtube ?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Jan 19 21:44:30 MST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 08:56 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
>
> > I would think that you could use a tv tuner card (like a Hauppage) to
> > capture the output of the VCR.
>
> Heh.  Not as easy as one might like; see
>
> 	http://lwn.net/Articles/261820/

Funny this should come up.  I just set up my MythTV backend with a
second Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 (the first is a 250) on Friday night.
The 150 has a composite video input along with an audio input.  After
splitting the cable between the two cards I hooked my VCR to the
composite and used a Y-connector on the audio.  The VCR now shows up as
channel 100 (I just have basic cable, no digital channels or cable box).
I record from it just like I would any other channel.  My whole purpose
for doing this was to archive my VHS movies.  Haven't started with that
yet, but will soon (as time permits at least).

Converting from NUV to something else is possible though I haven't
played with that option in some time.

Kinda cool.  I was able to watch a VHS on one monitor, TV on another (my
laptop) and a ripped DVD on another.  And two of those were over
wireless (802.11g).  And with two PVR-x50's the picture-in-picture
option works.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org