[lug] Daily system crash....

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Jan 28 19:46:54 MST 2008

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> David Morris wrote:
> [...]
>> I did realize another variable which changed about the time
>> I first noticed the problem:  I started connecting to a VPN
>> using the Cisco VPN client.  I have no clue if the problem
>> started before or after I first connected the VPN, but it
>> was near the same time.  Of course, it was also about the
>> same time that I started using the system as a development
>> platform on a regular basis, so again it could just be
>> coincidence.
>
> Does Cisco's client muck with the IP stack the way it used to on
> Windows?  (If it does, would that be a kernel module, or something
> else?)  If it's running in kernel space I'd guess that to be the problem.

My last exposure to the Cisco client (3.0.? I think), had a kernel module.

My problems with 64-bit debian have to do with browser plugins and ldap
auth (debian doesn't include 32-bit versions of the libnss/libpam ldap
bits).  So, any 32-bit app that wants to figure out my uid (e.g. vmware
console and a few others) get wonky and won't work.  I had to set up a
local user to get some of that stuff to work.

Hugh