[lug] Hard Drive Failure / somehow software issue?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Feb 12 15:41:16 MST 2008

George Sexton wrote:
> that. In reality, SW RAID under Linux is virtual useless for maintaining
> availability through a failure. SW RAID under Linux can prevent data

I wish you were right on that, because if the system had locked up when one
disc failed I wouldn't have had a client contact me late last week when the
second drive in their 3-drive RAID-5 failed.  This was one of their
development boxes (we're only responsible for their production machines), and
either the software RAID alert never got to their mail server, or it was
ignored (the system seemed correctly configured to e-mail an alert on failure).

As we've said before, it really depends on a number of things like the
controller and how gracefully it handles and reports failures to the software
RAID.

Sean