[lug] Request/bug tracking systems--suggestions for small team

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 09:12:09 MST 2008

I'd like to step back and pimp CVSDude again.  For some situations, it's an
awfully good option.

It costs money, and their prices went up, mid-last-year.  You can kick the
tires with their free plan, but for a company, I wouldn't use anything
smaller than their $30/month plan.  A year's worth is maybe the same cost as
a developer-day.  Their priciest plan's about three times that.

My boss, our VP of Engineering, who's used to having to budget for tools
that cost tens of thousands of dollars, almost laughed.

What do you get that's useful?  Here are things that work for us:

- Trivial setup and maintenance.  It's software-as-a-service.
- CVS or SVN -- your choice.
- Secure (https) access from anywhere.  My developers can work from home or
a coffee shop.
- Off-site backups, every 10 minutes.
- Bandwidth.  These guys must have their own internet highway speed-ramp.
- Trac or Bugzilla, also setup and maintained for you.
- First-rate customer service.

(There's other stuff, too, like WebDAV access, that don't matter as much to
me right now.)

It's analogous to a deciding whether to use Gmail/Yahoo! mail or to roll
your own mail server.   There are multitudinous reasons you might need to
set up and maintain your own; if so, a hosted solution ain't for you.

But if you want something that works, now, and that you don't have to hassle
with, then these guys really are quite good.  Also nice.  Some weekends,
I've gotten customer support from their CEO, Mark Bathie.

If you're already hosting yourself, you can upload your existing repository
and turn it over to them.  If you later want to drop CVSDude and host it
yourself, you can pull a copy of your repository trivially.  Or they'll
download it for you, for a one-time fee of five bucks.

No, I don't work for them, and I don't get a kickback.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]