[lug] hald on a server

gordongoldin at aim.com gordongoldin at aim.com
Tue Mar 11 13:33:01 MDT 2008

Kevin Fenzi writes:
> selinux shouldn't be stopping hald, and if it is I would expect many
> people to be shouting for a fix. ;)

I agree with this, but my $.02 about hald is...

I'm not convinced servers need hald.  The software which uses the
messagebus and all that stuff seems to be related to starting/stopping
devices, which is not something servers do.  If selinux is stopping
it, it's better, because the less that is running on a server, the
better imiho. :-)

 Actually - I agree.? hald wasn't running 4 releases ago because of a mismatch between the OS and the Dell.
I actually shut hotplugging off as part of the standard security, so nobody can walk up to any of my machines, plug in their flashdrive and execute something.

But there are people here running from center to center carrying their stuff in their pocket.