[lug] debian usb printer

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Fri Apr 11 12:05:23 MDT 2008

Hi,

I just installed Debian etch and am trying to configure
a USB printer, an HP 2605dn.
The configuration recognizes the printer and I take the default
driver, foo2hp.  Oddly it knows the printer as Color-Laserjet-2600n
not 2600dn.

When I click "print a test page", nothing happens.  When I issue:
  echo 'hi' | lp
The properties gui shows:

Testing foomatic shows the following:
$ foomatic-rip -P 'Color-Laserjet-2600n' < tempa.ps > tempb.ps
  Process dying with "There is no readable PPD file for
   the printer Color-Laserjet-2600n, is it configured?", exit stat: 9
   error: No such file or directory (2)
  There is no readable PPD file for the printer
    Color-Laserjet-2600n, is it configured?

What do I need to do here?

Many thanks,

Steve