[lug] small footprint audio-capable?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 08:24:08 MDT 2008

Sadly I haven't been able to go to any BLUG meetings in quite a while,
looks like not in the near future either. I have question though, I kind
of wish I could just throw it out to the group. How much computing power
is available in one single board computer? I'm thinking of an audio
mixer that uses a PCI sound card capable of quite a few channels. It
does NOT have to be battery powered. Of all of the SBCs out there, I
have no idea which architecture, e.g., ARM, is most capable of this. It
would have to drive a simple LCD touch screen display gui, as well as
everything related to running the audio card, as well as networking
(with ssh and perhaps streaming), and hopefully some sort of wireless
and a regular phone modem. Maybe the PCI slot requirement means I'd have
to go to something like a mini-ITX, which in turn might even have a
built in network setup. Extra PCI or PCMCIA slots would be nice because
then it would work with things like bluetooth. I could work with headers
that are available but need to be wired to a connector. Any thoughts on
what would do the job?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net