[lug] Time sync w/GPS or radio

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu May 8 16:32:27 MDT 2008

I've been wanting a time receiver for a long time. In a previous life, I
was a calibration technician so I've been fascinated with time and
frequency standards for a long time. What's been killing me has been the
price. It's tough for me to explain to my wife that I want to buy a
$1500 GPS time receiver because I think it would be cool. It's neat to
see the Beaglesoft one is much cheaper.

I looked at the Radio Sync thing from the Beaglesoft folks, and it's
nice at $220, but it's not directly supported by NTP. Someone would have
to write a driver for it.

I saw their GPS receiver is a Garmin GPS-16. For kicks, I went to
Garmin's site and found the unit for $105.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=13194

It looks like you would need to follow these instructions to create an
RS-232 interface and power supply. There are also instructions on
getting the PPS stuff working, which is essential for higher accuracy:

http://time.qnan.org/

I'm sure that even if you purchased the kit from Beaglesoft, you would
have to do the kernel PPS steps on the URL.

This would be a really cool project. I'm halfway handy with a soldering
iron and I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than an hour to create the PCB.

Lori Reed wrote:
> IME, gps devices, at least hand held and pcmcia devices, have, at best,
> problematical indoor reception. A bit of quick googling found this:
>
> http://www.atomictimeclock.com/radsynhome.htm
>
> I'm sure there are others.
>
> Just curious, what is the url for the UK vendor you reference?
>
> Lori
>
> Gary Hodges wrote:
>
>> I have some remote machines w/o internet access.  I get around that by
>> dialing in a couple times a day, but I've never liked that solution.
>> But what prompted me to start looking for a solution is...  You all
>> will love this...  I have a machine on the net behind the firewall of
>> a very large government organization where I'm not able to use a time
>> server outside the network.  And, get this, they don't keep the time
>> set on their internal time server.
>>
>> In case anyone is interested, I got a price quote from that UK vendor
>> this morning.  $1590 for a GPS solution and $995 for a WWVB solution.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: +1 303 438 9585