[lug] Time sync w/GPS or radio

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Thu May 15 15:41:31 MDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I was working on a separate project
using GPS and came across an interesting product.  Garmin makes a
"puck" GPS receiver that just has a serial cable output on it.  It is
a fairly dumb device that when powered up generates a NMEA 0183 data
stream on the serial interface.  For $70 you can't beat the price.

You can see it here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000196BW6/ref=pd_cp_e_0?pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002HS3A0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VEA94MZ10NYQYJF3BX5

If you look at the NMEA spec the data stream contains the UTC time.
It seems like it would be pretty trivial to write up a shell script
that monitors the serial interface and sets the clock based on the
incoming data stream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

I just ordered one and I can't wait to play with it.

-J