[lug] How to simulate static IP with openwrt/wrt54G withez-ipupdate?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Fri May 16 09:49:05 MDT 2008

Thanks John!

Does Comcast provide a firewall for you? I'm using Comcast in Bellevue WA. I
can ping my Bellevue, WA router with my new domain from dyndns.org but I
cannot ssh into it. I have used the iptables to punch a hole for ssh but no
luck.

Hmmmm... I have two routers here in Bellevue, WA where I have a dynamic IP
from comcast. With the Motorola router www.grc.com says everything is
complete stealth. With the linksys/openwrt I fail on many ports because
"your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed
to connections".

(In Boulder CO I have another WRT on a fixed IP. I have successfully punched
a hole so I can ssh into it while I am here in Bellevue, WA).

So what does that mean? I think it means that Comcast is not providing a
firewall. This is good news.

But if this is true, why cannot my router in Boulder, CO ssh into my router
in WA?

When I try, I get "ssh: exited: Error connecting: Connection refused"

However, my WRT in Boulder can ping my router WRT in Bellevue, WA. (And my
free DNS from dyndns.org gets correctly translated too! Hurray!) What does
that mean? Does that also prove Comcast is not providing a firewall?

Maybe I should try http and open up port 80 and see if I can see a web page
on the openwrt. They probably explain how to do that on openwrt.org but I'm
out of time this morning.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Siegfried

On Behalf Of John Hernandez
>Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:22 PM
>To: Boulder (Colorado) Linux Users Group -- General Mailing List
>Subject: Re: [lug] How to simulate static IP with openwrt/wrt54G
withez-ipupdate?

>Siegfried Heintze wrote:
>> Please forgive me if you see this twice: I'm debugging an email problem.
>>
>> I?ve been reading http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=68256#p68256
and wishing eleon would respond.

listed at http://ez-ipupdate.com/?

>> I talked to dyndns.org and they said to abandon openwrt in favor of DDWRT
so I could use inadyn. I?m reluctant to muck with something that is not
broken ? my openwrt/whiterussian has been running just fine on my WRT54G for
quite sometime.