[lug] mount: unknown filesystem type 'lvm2pv'

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Jun 5 09:18:35 MDT 2008

Bill Thoen wrote:
> I just installed a new drive and put FC9 on the machine, but because
> there's some files on my old drive (which has fc6 on it) that I want to
> copy over, I'm now trying to mount the old drive so I can get at it.
>
> The two drives are listed as sda and sdb. I first tried 'mount /dev/sdb2
> /mnt/d' and got the error listed in the subject. Then, searching Google,

> I ran across the vgscan command. So I ran vgscan -v and found the two
> volume groups associated with the drives listed in /dev
> But when I try:
> mount /dev/VolGroup01/logVol01 /mnt/d
> I still get the error listed in the subject above. I've tried:
> mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/logVol01 /mnt/d
> and it said the mount point was busy or unavailable and
I'm assuming you've used lvs to get logVol101 as an lv name.
Does df or mount (no arguments) show anything already at /mnt/d?
It looks like the lv may have an ext3 file system. The error is
complaining about the mount point. Try another one.

I've never heard of a file system called lvm2pv. To use such a system
you would need built-in kernel support or a loadable module.
cat /proc/filesystems and ls /proc/fs will give you some information
about what file systems the kernel knows about.