[lug] mount: unknown filesystem type 'lvm2pv'

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Jun 5 08:49:55 MDT 2008

I just installed a new drive and put FC9 on the machine, but because
there's some files on my old drive (which has fc6 on it) that I want to
copy over, I'm now trying to mount the old drive so I can get at it.

The two drives are listed as sda and sdb. I first tried 'mount /dev/sdb2
/mnt/d' and got the error listed in the subject. Then, searching Google,
I ran across the vgscan command. So I ran vgscan -v and found the two
volume groups associated with the drives listed in /dev
But when I try:
mount /dev/VolGroup01/logVol01 /mnt/d
I still get the error listed in the subject above. I've tried:
mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup01/logVol01 /mnt/d
and it said the mount point was busy or unavailable and
mount -t lvm2pv /dev/VolGroup01/logVol01 /mnt/d
and it said that lvm2pv was an unknown filesystem type.

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong and tell me how to fix it?

- Bill