[lug] Time (again) sanity check

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 25 14:25:02 MDT 2008

I had to postpone my search for a WWVB or GPS time solution, but as luck
would have it the folks running the time server (the one with incorrect
time) said they would fix it.  They now claim it has the correct time,
but I can't seem to set my computer time correctly with it.  So, before
I tell them they still don't have it set correctly, I wanted to run the
results of ntpdate and ntpq by this list to make sure I'm doing things
correctly.

hodges at machine:~$ sudo ntpdate 151.61.251.231
25 Jun 12:10:41 ntpdate[2727]: adjust time server 151.61.251.231 offset
0.003570 sec

hodges at machine:~$ ntpq -p
  jitter
  mach.nv.doe.go 151.61.251.233   2 u   26   64    5    6.862    0.174
11.644

Note that my machine is consistently 1 min 16 sec fast.  Also, while I
have changed the IPs and machine names, I left the last octets intact.
I have "server 151.61.251.231" in ntp.conf, but it shows up as .233 with
"ntpq -p".