[lug] cell phones with linux

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Wed Jul 16 13:21:25 MDT 2008

What are the ramifications of having a linux cell phone? Does it mean that
(1) You have all the source code to the cell phone?
(2) You can alter and recompile any/all the source code and redeploy it to
your phone without permission of the manufacturer? (I heard stories about
how nokia/brew developers have to have special permission from nokia to
develop applications).
(3) You can subvert the pricing structure where the carrier charges double
or triple for data transfers (compared to voice) and develop wireless
embedded applications that transmit their status every 15 minutes.
(4) If the answer to #3 is yes, will linux cell phone become a favorite of
terrorists?
Thanks!
Siegfried