[lug] cell phones with linux

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 12:02:55 MDT 2008

siegfried wrote:
> What are the ramifications of having a linux cell phone? Does it mean that
> (1) You have all the source code to the cell phone?

For the openmoko, yes.  For almost all other linux cellphones, no.  For
most linux phones, the linux OS itself is available, but the GUI code,
device drivers, etc are definitely closed.
> (2) You can alter and recompile any/all the source code and redeploy it to
> your phone without permission of the manufacturer? (I heard stories about
> how nokia/brew developers have to have special permission from nokia to
> develop applications).

For openmoko you can do what you want.  There are at least 4 different
flavors of OS/GUI available to install at present.  For most other linux
phones I think you are pretty much locked out.

> (3) You can subvert the pricing structure where the carrier charges double
> or triple for data transfers (compared to voice) and develop wireless
> embedded applications that transmit their status every 15 minutes.phone cards.
The answer here is maybe.  I think carriers might be a little sloppy
with network enforcement because most cellphones are crippled and unable
to take advantage of the network like a real computer could.  For
instance, on the openmoko wiki it says that TMobile doesn't offer data
plans on its pre-pay sims.  However, by manually configuring GPRS it is
possible to get data access anyway.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Carriers/TMobile

> (4) If the answer to #3 is yes, will linux cell phone become a favorite of
> terrorists?

If by terrorists you mean technologically capable users then yes.