[lug] FSF plans Apple Genuis Bar "denial of service"

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jul 28 12:00:24 MDT 2008

I really should stay out of this one, but ...

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:36 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> Protesters who get in my way don't get my attention for "the cause",
> they get my hate for their cause.  They can protest as much as they
> want, just stay *out of the way!*
>
> If they're out there blocking traffic it just makes me want to get a
> monster truck, put it in low gear, get out and let it grind onward.  If
> they can't clear the road in 2 minutes to get out of the way of an "out
> of control truck" they deserve to get crushed.

Wow.  Really?  So the guy standing in Tienanmen Square blocking tanks
should've just been rolled over?

There are valid complaints that people have that deserve the right to be
heard.  Just because one person doesn't think so doesn't take away that
right to be heard.  Even if it annoys you.

In fact, a protest (a form of civil disobedience), is useless if it
*doesn't* annoy some people.  See multiple quotes from Gandhi.

> Likewise for sit-ins and other stupidity.  I just want to get out the
> hobnailed boots and walk in, on and over them.

We did that already.  We call it "The Iraq War."

The DRM stuff is (to me personally) silly, but it doesn't detract from
the point of protests.  Everyone has a right to be heard.  No matter how
silly they sound to anyone else.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org