[lug] Personal 'layer'

Sebastian Sobolewski (Spsobole) spsobole at thirdmartini.com
Sun Aug 3 12:23:18 MDT 2008

That's a cleaver idea.  What I have done in the past is partition my Linux
boxes as:
/
/home
/opt -> /home/opt

When I reinstall/upgrade/etc I just have it leave my home directory alone and
reformat and install  into /.  All my custom apps are in /opt so there is
nothing more to do after the install.

Though I have had to manually install some system updates which your solution
solves.  It may be worth while to as you backup /home to also grab a listing
of currently installed packages automatically so you can use that listing. (
I'd easily forget all the packages I installed over a years time )

-Sebastian