[lug] Personal 'layer'

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 4 19:40:57 MDT 2008

Scott Rohling wrote:
> Great idea about grabbing the package listing..

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html

See section 6.4.9 to do it correctly.  Must include both package
selections and debconf selections on Debian-based derivatives.

Calling out "dselect-upgrade" now that most people don't use dselect
anymore (I always liked it) is interesting, though -- wonder if it
really matters.  It definitely used to... apt-get and dselect had subtly
different methods of dealing with dependencies that used to screw you
over badly (yep, that's Linux!) if you used both or tried to mix and
match... or worse, just trusted them both to do the right thing.

Oh well... it was a great way to learn how to get myself out of
dependency hell, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone interested in
getting other things done with their computer for a while.  Sarge to
Etch was cleaner than Potato to Sarge... so it got better over time...
apt-get wasn't out of "dangerous beta testing" stage yet when I started
playing with Debian.

Now everyone uses it and dselect is long-forgotten.  Aptitude is also
nice, but again -- subtle differences in how it handles some dependencies.

Since other distros AFAIK don't have a debconf equivalent, you're stuck
backing up all of /etc in most cases and picking through the backup for
the files you want.

No package installation metadata for you!!  :-)

Or maybe there's other ways.  Afficionados of those distros can speak to
what the equivalent is in their favorite flavor of the month...

Nate