[lug] Personal 'layer'

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 4 20:12:48 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Scott Rohling wrote:
>> Great idea about grabbing the package listing..
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html
>
> See section 6.4.9 to do it correctly.  Must include both package
> selections and debconf selections on Debian-based derivatives.

Unfortunately that doesn't account for the auto-install tracking
aptitude uses, since it's a higher layer than dpkg.  But there are ways
to recover that, especially with *buntu where most things are
auto-installed.  But I'm not sure you need anything but the
manual-installed list.

> Calling out "dselect-upgrade" now that most people don't use dselect
> anymore (I always liked it) is interesting, though -- wonder if it
> really matters.

I think that tells apt-get to use the selections another tool has made.
  If you do dpkg --set-selections you'll see those selections in
aptitude or dselect or whatever.

> It definitely used to... apt-get and dselect had subtly
> different methods of dealing with dependencies

Using apt-get to install what dselect has selected is different than
using apt-get to resolve dependencies for you.  The tools have always
seemed to me somewhat fragmented in that regard.

Dave