[lug] Metacity lockups

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 5 10:51:41 MDT 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:45:56 -0600
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org ("Michael J. Hammel") wrote:

> I upgraded to F9 at work last week.  All was well till yesterday.
> Three times Metacity locked up.  Looking at ps I find bug-buddy
> running too, against metacity.  Trying to kill either just made
> metacity restart and hit the same bug again.  Anyone else seen
> metacity lock up like this? No window access, no gnome-panel access.
> Nothing but a movable mouse. The activity monitor is still running so
> it's a desktop problem.  I finally cleaned out all the session files
> from ~/.metacity before going home last night.  So far this morning
> I've had no additional problems.

Odd. I don't use metacity, and haven't heard of many recent crashes.
Have you applied all updates?

> I tried replacing metacity last night with kwin, fluxbox and xfwm.  It
> sort of works but after a logout it looks like metacity is launched
> again, along with my alternate window manager.  Mucks things up that
> way.  I tried killing metacity from the Sessions applet, manually
> starting the alternate window manager and saving the session but I
> still get metacity when I logout and back in again.

Yeah, some gnome bit hard coding it I suspect.

> On a side note, anyone know how to *NOT* backup ~/.gvfs.  I *HATE*
> that mount point.  I've tried all kinds of things with rsync's
> exclude-from file to ignore it but I keep getting messages that "some
> files were not backed up because you don't have permission for that
> directory" (paraphrasing, of course).  I unmounted .gvfs and turned
> off the fuse daemon but the mount point keeps coming back.  It's
> drivin' me nuts.

Just --exclude it from your backups?

> I think its time to switch to xfce permanently.  A memory leak is
> easier to deal with than the crap they're rolling into GNOME these
> days.  Maybe I'll just go back to FVWM.  I wonder how many apps will
> stop working if I do that.....

That reminds me that I should push out an update with some memory leak
fixes for Xfce. I was hoping they would track them all down and I could
do them at once, but they did manage to find a few of the more anoying
ones.