[lug] Metacity lockups

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Aug 5 11:54:32 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 10:51 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Odd. I don't use metacity, and haven't heard of many recent crashes.
> Have you applied all updates?

I did an update before the crashes started happening.  Didn't notice if
metacity had been updated.  I usually only glance through the updates to
see if the kernel was affected so I know if a reboot is needed.  So far
today I've not had any crashes.  Might have been something mucked up in
a session file.  I'll cross my fingers on that count.

> > On a side note, anyone know how to *NOT* backup ~/.gvfs.  I *HATE*
> > that mount point.  I've tried all kinds of things with rsync's
> > exclude-from file to ignore it but I keep getting messages that "some
> > files were not backed up because you don't have permission for that
> > directory" (paraphrasing, of course).  I unmounted .gvfs and turned
> > off the fuse daemon but the mount point keeps coming back.  It's
> > drivin' me nuts.
>
> Just --exclude it from your backups?

I've tried
  --exlude='.gvfs/'
  --exclude='/home/mjhammel/.gvfs/'
and in an exclude-from file
  - .gvfs/
  - /home/mjhammel/.gvfs/

I still get errors from rsync.  Whoever decided a user-specific fs mount
was necessary for a desktop must have been doing some seriously hard
drugs.  Whatever their reasoning - it's wrong.  There has to be a better
way.

> That reminds me that I should push out an update with some memory leak
> fixes for Xfce. I was hoping they would track them all down and I could
> do them at once, but they did manage to find a few of the more anoying
> ones.

Is there a metapackage for xfce?  What packages do I need to install for
the desktop and associated apps?  I used to just compile it myself, but
I'll take the easy route now.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org